Advanced Diploma in Wellness Coaching Skills
Course Length: 2 Years (start at any time)
Qualification: Advanced Diploma in Wellness Coaching Skills
Course Fees: £2599.00
This qualification is for anyone interested in adding wellness coaching skills to their work portfolio (you need to be a qualified wellness professional to apply for this course). You will learn the underpinning theory of wellness coaching plus how to apply the skills in practice. The two-year course (you can complete it quicker) which you can start throughout the year, is delivered via blended learning (online and F2F) with full tutor support.
Who the course is for
The Advanced Diploma in Wellness Coaching Skills is for qualified healthcare professionals e.g. nurses, nutritionists, complementary therapists, OTs, PTs and who are therefore able to coach the client on effective changes in relation to, for example, lifestyle or diet and would like to be trained to the equivalent of QCF Level 5. You are welcome to enrol straight on this course if you are a healthcare professional. You do not have to take a Certificate in Wellness Coaching or the Fast-Track in Wellness Life Coaching Skills before coming on this course.
Professionals who have studied with us include: GPs, counsellors, complementary therapists, nurses (diabetic, theatre, hospice, general), occupational therapists, nutritionists, paediatricians, medical physiotherapists, personal trainers, yoga teachers, mental health workers, adult social care workers, health care support workers and rehab workers.
Those that work in the NHS may see their role extended to that of wellness coach as patients are encouraged to take increased ownership of their LTC alongside medical interventions.
Wellness coaching is also appropriate for private sector healthcare professionals. The growth of private healthcare lies in offering a range of solutions e.g. treatments, products, wellness coaching, and other services to potential buyers. The patient chooses their combination and alongside the health professional, co-creates and implements their wellness programme.
Course Outline and Modules
Stage One: Supervised Skills Developmentand Supported Distance Learning
Supervised skills development
You need to complete 40 hours of supervised skills development before you take on case studies. You complete this through accrued hours over seven or eight workshops.
You can start your workshops at any time of the year and can book onto any workshop as long as there are places available. You don’t have to attend consecutive workshops, however, you can only start your workshops after you have completed the first two modules.
Tip: If you can read The Coaching Manual by Julie Starr (available from Amazon) before you start your supervised skills development workshops, this would be very helpful to provide you with an overview of coaching skills.
Supported distance learning
You can go at your own pace for distance learning with the full support of your tutor. This is designed to give you the underpinning knowledge you need in order to coach others. Completed work is passed onto your tutor for marking and comment and returned to you together with the next module.
Module 1: Facilitating Coaching Sessions
Differences between coaching, counselling and mentoring – AC Coaching Competency Framework – AC Code of Ethics and Good Practice – How people learn – GROW Model – Other coaching models – Facilitating coaching sessions – Showing attention and interest – Using exploration skills – Showing understanding skills – Using action skills – Change management – Coaching management: supervision, record keeping, confidentiality, insurance, data protection
Module 2: Cognitive Behavioural Coaching
Defining cognitive behavioural coaching (CBC) – The 8-step process to using CBC in wellness coaching: Problem identification – The CBC choice – Goal selection – Exploring and challenging faulty thinking – Choices and consequences – Decision-making and action planning – Implementation – Evaluation
Module 3: Setting the Scene for Wellness Coaching
What wellness is – The changing face of healthcare – Integrated healthcare – Conventional and complementary healthcare mindsets – Areas of life which contribute to wellness – Mindbody integration – Health coaching models
Module 4: Applications for Wellness Coaching
Long-term-condition (LTC) self-management: diabetes, asthma, smoking cessation, obesity, cardiovascular disease, addiction, disability, pain, respiratory – Key issues when coaching clients with LTC – Preventative wellness coaching – Principles of health behaviour change.
Module 5: Motivational Coaching
Reflective listening – open questions – summarising – recognising and reinforcing change talk – eliciting and strengthening change talk – managing resistance – consolidating client commitment.
Module 6: Solution-focused Coaching
To understand the key principles of solution-focused coaching: focus on solutions not problems, questioning, solution talk.
Module 7: Improving Client Self Esteem
Values, right and self-esteem – The assertive person – Using CBC techniques to improve self esteem.
Module 8: Wellness Coaching for Lifestyle Changes
Time management – healthy eating – complementary therapies – smoking cessation – fitness – environmental health – work/life balance.
Module 9: Mindfulness, Meaning and Wellness
Defining mindfulness – Physiological influence of mindfulness – Mindfulness in daily living – The link between wellbeing and human spirituality – Personal Meaning Profile – Coping Schemas Inventory – The Wheel of Life – Labyrinths.
Module 10: Ways to Deliver Wellness Coaching
Personal coaching – Group coaching – Personal face-to-face coaching – Personal coaching online – Face-to-face group coaching – Webinars – Email coaching – Products.
You can add modules from other courses for £59.00. The option includes learning material, a tutor-marked assignment and CPD certification.
You are required to keep a learning journal throughout the course. This records your personal and professional learning experiences related to the Diploma.
Stage Two: Case Studies
Following module completion and your supervised skills development hours, you need to complete fifty hours of case studies. You complete all case studies in your own time and location, under remote supervision from your tutor.
Stage Three: CPD and Course Evaluation
FEATURES OF THE ADVANCED DIPLOMA IN WELLNESS COACHING
- Anytime start: Begin your course anytime throughout the year
- Face-face supervised skills development: Face-to-face group workshops are held bi-monthly (Saturday) in London UK where you can develop your coaching skills under expert supervision, meet fellow students, have coaching yourself and learn new techniques.
- Online supervised skills development: Learn how to deliver remote coaching via online video calls (monthly Tuesday and Saturday dates to choose from) under the supervision of an expert tutor. You also receive coaching yourself, meet fellow students and discover new techniques.
- Accreditation and credibility:
- – Student membership of the Association for Coaching (AC) for 12 months.
- – Training accreditation from the Association for Coaching (AC).
- – Training accreditation from the National Council of Integrative Psychotherapists (NCIP).
- – CPD recognition from the Complementary Medical Association (CMA).
- – There is the opportunity to apply for full membership of the AC, NCIP and CMA upon qualification depending on criteria fulfilment.
- Online community: Access to our Wellness Community on Circle where you can share resources, ask questions, share successes, ‘advertise’ for co-coaching partners or case study volunteers and gain access to cutting-edge industry news.
- Materials provided: Learning materials.
- Tutor support: Quick turnaround for queries and marking (one week) with support by email, phone and online. You are constantly encouraged with quality feedback and challenge.
- Marketing consultation: Included in the course fee is a 30-minute marketing consultation with Karan Hopper of Kameleon Marketing.
- Access to discounted courses: As a student and then as a graduate with Wellness Professionals at Work, we would like to give you discounts on any future courses with us.
- Access to discounted coaching: As a student and then as a graduate with Wellness Professionals at Work, we would like to give you discounts on personal and professional 1:1 coaching.
- Study-buddy: As well as buddying up with your fellow students, you have the choice of working alongside a graduate from one of our coaching courses who will support, guide and encourage your learning journey.
- Access to TOTUM PRO: Wellness Professionals at Work is an approved training provider for the TOTUM PRO discount card which is designed with professional learners at its heart to combine convenience and affordability with the best possible benefits. This access is available only to students on any of the Diploma courses.
- Accelerated coach accreditation access with the AC which is only offered in the Advanced Diplomas. Upon successful completion of this course, you can apply for membership with the AC which will give you robust credibility as a coach. The next optional step would be to apply for accredited coach status with the AC (only AC members can apply for AC accreditated coach level). Those who gain accredited coach level are committed to best practice and have proved they are able to use a range of techniques with clients resulting in positive outcomes. Upon successful completion of the Advanced Diploma in Wellness Coaching Skills, we can supervise your accelerated progress to become an accredited AC coach. The fee for our supervision is included in your course fee, however, please note there is an additional cost direct from the AC to yourself as well.
KEY DIFFERENCES BETWEEN FAST-TRACK DIPLOMAS AND ADVANCED DIPLOMAS
- Complete in one year (or six months).
- Starting anytime.
- Four modules for key theory.
- Six supervised skills development workshops.
- Supervised case study work (six hours).
- Accredited Award in Coach Training from the Association for Coaching.
- Complete over two years (however you can complete quicker depending on your lifestyle and discipline or take longer).
- Enrolments are accepted throughout the year with a start any time policy.
- Access to accelerated coach accreditation with the Association for Coaching.
- Extra modules included for additional theory.
- Eight supervised skills development workshops.
- Supervised case study work (50 hours).
- Reflective learning opportunities.
- 30-minute marketing consultation with Kameleon Marketing.
- Accredited Certificate in Coach Training from the Association for Coaching.
Professionals who have studied with us include: GPs, counsellors, complementary therapists, army officers, yoga teachers, HR professionals, nurses (diabetic, theatre, hospice, general), coaches, advocacy management, occupational therapists, nutritionists, paediatricians, medical physiotherapists, police officers, personal trainers, mental health workers, day centre management, adult social care workers, community service management, health care support workers, teachers and rehab workers.
The course is also suitable for career changers or those looking to start their own business, enhance an existing business and for retirement career-changers. You are welcome to enrol straight on this course. You do not have to take a Certificate in Life Coaching before coming on this course.
Graduates from our coaching diplomas tend to take their new skills and knowledge:
- back into their existing PAYE job or a new PAYE job e.g. HR, teaching, youth work, social work, pastoral support, civil service, army personnel, policing, OT, corporate wellbeing, sports, mental health, support work, GP/NHS health coaching, employability coaching, leisure management
- back into their existing business
- into a new business alongside their PAYE job
You could use what you learn on this course to integrate into counseling, as part of human resource facilitation, to work with people in transition, as part of elder-care, for a lifestyle change or with young people.
The course has undergone rigorous scrutiny to ensure it meets the criteria of each accrediting body and is equivalent to a QCF Level 5.
The Complementary Medical Association
Wellness Professionals at Work is an authorized course provider of the Complementary Medical Association (CMA). This course carries CPD points (1 point for every hour of study or skills development). The CMA also offers student membership which you can apply for while still studying and will gain the post-nominal letters SCMA. Upon graduation, you can apply for full CMA Membership “MCMA”. CMA membership (as a student or graduate) also qualifies you for reduced insurance rates.
National Council of Integrative Psychotherapists
The NCIP is one of the longest established and prestigious societies of its type in the UK and enjoys an international reputation. This course is an NCIP Accredited Diploma and you are eligible to join the NCIP as a student member when you begin the course. At course completion, you can apply for full membership as long as you fulfil membership criteria.
Association for Coaching
A valuable benefit of the Advanced Diploma in Life Coaching Skills is the accelerated coach accreditation (Association for Coaching) scheme. If upon successful completion of this course, you would like to apply for AC coach accreditation (foundation level), Wellness Professional at Work can help you by:
- Easing your path through the coach accreditation process
- Speeding up the assessment (AC prioritises applications from accredited AC coaching courses such as ours)
- Eliminating coach accreditation resubmission fees
- Saving you on the initial coach accreditation fees. Please note that there is a cost direct from the Association for Coaching to you for AC membership and coach accreditation status.
“Thank you so much for your time and patience, Laurel. I’ve learned so much, not just for business, but for life itself. It’s been fantastic.”
“I have found that completing of the learning journal, case studies and assignments have really helped me understand how and what I need to change as well as how to work with clients. The supervision with Laurel has been fantastic since it helped me with the course work, coaching clients and most importantly to recognise things to improve my own life. All in all, a life changing experience!”
NHS wellbeing coach
FREE 30 MINUTE MARKETING CONSULTATION
We are delighted to offer all Advanced Diploma students a free 30-minute marketing consultation with our marketing partner Kameleon Marketing. Kameleon Marketing offers affordable, flexible marketing services and consultancy for small businesses, sole traders, and start-ups. For more information about Kameleon Marketing visit www.kameleon-marketing.com.
How the course is delivered
You can take up to two years to complete this course which is delivered through blended learning (a mixture of supported distance learning and supervised skills development). You can start the course at any time of the year.
One of your tutors for this course is Laurel Alexander, author of How to Incorporate Wellness Coaching into your Therapeutic Practice (Jessica Kingsley).
‘Excellently written book, full of practical advice for any therapist/counselor. Highly recommended. I find that most other books brush over the practical demonstrations of application and concentrate upon theoretical attributes instead, however, Laurel’s book is exceptionally written and combines practical use within the context of theoretical perspectives. This book uses alternative/holistic approaches to coaching as well as psychological and cognitive behavioral coaching. A must-read for anyone interested in becoming a coaching psychologist, stress management therapist or wellness coach alone.’
“I am using your book in my post masters integrative therapy course. It’s great.” E.C. nurse practitioner
NEW BOOK published by Jessica Kingsley and written by Laurel Alexander – Integrative Wellness Coaching
“A welcome addition to any practitioner’s resources. This is a resource that will be called upon again and again. I cannot recommend it highly enough!” Jeannette Marshall, Director of Accreditation at Association for Coaching.
“Written by the brilliant Laurel Alexander, this book demonstrates a preventative approach to wellness which can be woven into our more traditional ways. An excellent read.” Ray Freeman BA(Hons) PGCE FNCIP, Director of Operations of the National Council of Integrative Psychotherapists
“This book is an indispensable guide for all practitioners. I would have loved to have had this when I was starting off, and I believe that Laurel Alexander has done the most outstanding job at bringing together some of the most important elements within integrative and complementary wellbeing coaching. Here at The Complementary Medical Association, we shall be recommending this book to all of our members wholeheartedly.” Jayney Goddard MSc FCMA FRSM, President, The Complementary Medical Association
“Against the backdrop of the impact of the pandemic, this is a timely and wise book, challenging the reader to look beyond outdated models of coaching and instead, to embrace an integrated and reflective approach to their work. What Laurel doesn’t know about wellness coaching isn’t worth knowing.” Su Orosa, Wellbeing Coach and Counsellor
Laurel Alexander and Jo Permaul are the tutors on this course.
Laurel, is your facilitator on the supervised skills development workshops and your supervisor throughout your case studies.
Jo our Director, is the distance learning support tutor for module assignments and your facilitator in the supervised skills development workshops.
You will be assessed: during your supervised skills development, via assignments, case studies and reflective learning journal. View the recommended reading materials for this course.
Before you commit to this course, we would like to remind you of what makes our courses stand out: robust accreditation, the option of adding modules, personal tutor support, high level of self-development, group interaction, you can join at any time, well-designed learning material, patient and inspiring tutors, live coaching practice, flexible pace.
Your fee of £2599 covers:
- 370+ hours of tutor supported training equivalent to Level 5
Pay an initial £499 upon enrolment plus 15 standing order instalments of £140.
Up front with discount
You are welcome to pay up front and enjoy a 5% discount, making the fee £2469.
You can pay by bank transfer or online.
Use this currency convertor for the investment in your national currency.
HOW TO ENROL ON THE COURSE
If you would like to enrol on this course, make payment using the button below and complete the enrolment form that follows. If you experience any problems please send us an email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact Jo if you wish to pay in instalments or make a bank transfer arrangement.
What the students say
Here’s what some of our Diploma Students have said:
“The most important things I have learnt during this course have been; how not to lead a client, how to set goals and the GROW model.”
Nurse and NHS wellbeing coach
“The knowledge and feedback of the tutor was excellent.”
Nurse and NHS wellbeing coach
“I believe I am much more objective, patient and a far better listener as a result of this course. The helpfulness and knowledge of the tutor was excellent. Thoroughly enjoyed the course and felt I got a lot out of it. It’s certainly given me the confidence to coach as I have had such positive feedback from my case studies.”
Writer and therapist
“I have learnt a massive amount around health and wellbeing, much of which I refer to regularly, either generally and/or when coaching, particularly around nutrition, activity, the benefit of good quality vitamins and supplements, value of relaxation and the use of some of the CBC techniques. A well thought out, put together and presented course which will add value to your coaching practice and personal health and wellbeing.”
“The three greatest strengths of this training have been: the excellent knowledge of Laurel and her approachable and supportive manner and my increased confidence level.”
Nurse and NHS wellbeing coach
“WPAW has supportive and understanding tutors who take time to understand students’ contexts. Professionally, the high standards set by her have made me feel very well qualified in this field. The tutors are extremely meticulous with feedback, so I have able to refine my coaching techniques. The final task of completing a business plan was extremely valuable.”
“Over the last two and a half years, I have learned tremendously. I am hugely satisfied with the course I have selected and cannot thank my tutor enough. She has enlightened me, been a wonderful guide, supported me every step of the way and become a wonderful friend too. I feel privileged to have collaborated with her and I would strongly recommend the course to anyone interested in wellness and/or coaching.”
Nutritionist, employee wellness specialist